Thursday, July 12, 2012

Is it just me, or does technology hate me?

Day 4
Today had it's ups and downs. I downloaded a good amount of the files, and converted some of them. I also ran out of disc space, which is ironic because there are at least 10 if not more external hard drives in my lab, each having at least half a terabyte of storage. My downloads crashed midway through because their target drive had no memory, and the computer was locked up for about half an hour. Luckily, Roger found me an old drive with some deletable files on it so that should cease to be a problem. I also had trouble getting into the reading room to get my lunch, and in full panic mode, I went back to my lab to email Bob. With no response, and my lunch break ticking away, I decided to head back upstairs and try the door again. My ID still failed to register, and even though I didn't say anything to him, a random guy stopped to help me open the door. That's why I really like working at RIT. People who I don't even know are willing to help an inexperienced newbie like myself. Later Bob came down to ask if my card was working okay, and told me he would encourage the other interns to come down and visit me. I guess whatever he said worked because naught ten minutes later Jarek showed up. I guess he felt like some company too, (he's by himself in the basement, like me) because he stayed and talked for a while. It was nice to have some company and to show another intern what I've been working on. So let that be a lesson to all you upstairs interns reading this blog: don't forget about us basement folks. All in all though, today was a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment