Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It's all ελληνικά to me

Day 7
What a day! Roger was back and I was able to show him what I've been working on for the past few days. Also, I finished all the downloads!!! This simple fact, while very exciting, spurred consternation galore. You see, while I have converted a few files already, I didn't realize until today how long converting all 500 files would take. At the current rate, I wouldn't have them all converted until next Friday, and that's assuming the computer wouldn't crash AND that I worked on nothing else. So, I decided to find an alternative to Photoshop conversion. Luckily I found an easy program that will let me convert all of the files at once, so providing the slight loss of quality is not an issue, I could finish the conversion in one day. In the down time during the few conversions I did today, I found a website to start learning Greek. After about an hour, all I can say is WOW. I've got my work cut out for me. I have learned the alphabet, but that will only help me so far if I actually want to read the palimpsest. The language itself seems rather complicated so, I guess I'll have to do my best. Of course, this is all assuming that the modern Greek alphabet is similar to that of 2000 years ago, and that the translations are similar. If not, attempting to translate could end up being a lot like banging my head against the wall. Which is great if you enjoy that sort of thing, but cerebral contusions aren't really my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment